Unique Football Comment by Doug Martin
Football comments on the English football press and close encounters with past football managers by Doug Martin. Welcome to our page of unique and unbarred football comment on topical football issues as seen by our very own Doug Martin (now retired from writing) exclusive to sportingways.com. Although some of the issues talked about by Doug were from a few years ago it is interesting to note how topical they still are in today's world of English football.
The biggest problem for England football is the press. A small handful of journalists who make out that they represent the country’s football supporters with their appalling and bias reporting. They expect England to win every game 5-0 and play like the Brazil of 1970..
- Why David Beckham & John Terry are innocent & the Newspapers/Media are lying I suppose you thought (like me) that John Terry did sleep with Wayne Bridge's Ex Girlfriend Vanessa Perroncel. Why would the papers & their spokesman the TV & Radio lie? I mean, Wayne Bridge..
- Chelsea Disciplined ~ Chelsea & Arsenal disciplined but why them? Last week in the Champions league qualifier between Arsenal & Celtic Arsenal opened the scoring in the first half with a penalty. What caused debate & over reaction by the media was that Arsenal's forward..
- Sir Bobby Robson – A Tribute to The second best England Manager we have ever had Sir Bobby Robson died last month (31 July 2009) after a long battle with cancer. I will miss him as he gave me the most memorable time watching England, i.e. the world cup of 1990 (which we should have won)..
- League Attendances ~ 5% higher than last season Attendances at English football League Matches are 5% higher than last season. Which is good of course. Personally, I was not too surprised as I am a bit of an anorak when it comes to Football attendances as I have been studying English attendances since the late 70's via “Shoot” magazine (RIP)..
- Manchester United Penalty ~ Another favourable decision in Manchester United's favour !!! On Saturday Manchester United were two nil down at home to Tottenham Hotspur when Michael Carrick was tackled fairly by Tottenham's Huerelho Gomes, unbelievably Referee Howard Webb gave a penalty. It was the turning point, not only in the game but also in the Premiership as well. Manchester United went on to win 5-2..
- Why can't we have safe standing at football matches? It seems apt at this time on the 20th anniversary of the “Hillsborough Disaster” to be discussing safe standing at football matches. The fact is that there is safe standing at football matches, just not in the Premiership & Championship, well apart from Cardiff City, who are moving to a new ground..
- The cost of watching football during the Recession? In 1986 I travelled by train to watch Wolves play Tranmere Rovers in a forth Division game at Molineux, Wolves home ground. The whole day cost me around £12, which included train ticket, ground admission (we paid on the day at the turnstiles in those days), programme & food. I might have brought..
- Greed and alleged Corruption means the death of York City For 27 years I have followed and watched My Football team. I now fear that is about to end. York City have ironically reached Wembley in the FA Trophy but are staring relegation in the face after losing..
- A Tribute to Brian Clough In December 1986 I travelled from York to watch Newcastle play Nottingham Forest in a 1st Division Game. I had never been to Newcastle's ground before nor had I seen either team play before but the main reason I was going to the game was to see “Brain Clough's” Nottingham Forest play..
- The Golden age of Football Commentating? My Earliest memory of a football match on TV is the 1976 FA Cup Final in which Second Division Southampton and a Bobby Stokes goal beat Hot Favourites Manchester United one nil. I remember watching..